11/30/2007

QOTD

When everything seems to fall apart, it is important to have a "mythic sense," a story-mind — not a fantasy for escape, but a sense of mythic imagination that can hold ends and beginnings together. -- Mythic Journeys

***

This reminds me of what many of the culture bearers talked about in de Guia's book, that sense of Time being irrelevant to the Sense of cyclic change. Beginnings and endings are part of a whole experience, and the view from wholeness gives each piece, even when broken, meaning-full-ness.

***

Speaking of fullness, I am flush with books. I've narrowed my MFA focus down a bit and started filling my shelves with books I think I ought to know about. Thanks to Amazon's links with used booksellers I recently received:

Crushing Soft Rubies

Eye of the Fish

The Oracles

So they're nestled nicely next to works by Leny Strobel, Barry Lopez, Carol Guess, Anne Lamott, Brenda Miller and Robin Hemley and soon to join works by Annie Dillard, Suzanne Paola, Judith Kitchen as I get a chance to pick up titles. More to read, more to gather like diamonds to a dragon's horde. To the used bookstores!

**happy dance**

3 comments:

Snickering Corpses said...

Book-hoarding has been a recent pass-time for me as well, with a rather large box of books recently arriving from someone else's hoard, passed on to me to clear out space for other things for them.

So many more books to stare at longingly than money to acquire them, even with used book stores. Such is the story of my life. Like Rockefeller's dollar, you always need "just one more."

Snickering Corpses said...

Speaking of book acquisition, have you yet been exposed to these two:

www.librarything.com
www.bookmooch.com

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out for sure.

My Amazon purchases were all used, so that saved my pennies even with shipping.

**grin**