7/01/2007

Link Roundup

After a few weeks of being away from the blog, I'm finding it difficult to get back into it, finding it difficult to write anything more than emails to friends. It's a reentry problem, one I'm familiar with, so I'm working it through tonight by reviewing my blog links from my sidebar. Connecting with my online community helps me feel connected, a very necessary part of my writing...

****


This will have the side effect, though, of totally messing with my blog stats as I go back and forth between the blog and my links.

****

Kelli mentions reading on a blog the suggestion that there are no American Poets and she proposes that perhaps what we need is a reality show to make poets more visible. I like the idea of "So You Think You Can Write," although the Atwood/Duhamel/Hickok panel doesn't sound quite as intense as Cowell/Abdul/Jackson...we'd need a good screamer like Mary Moore and an avante garde poet who no one 'gets' to fill in the space for Maya...

The promotion of poet performers though would be a good thing.

****

Dean speaks fondly once again of daughter Sage and her ability to cut through to the heart of the matter. Life as layered complexity.

****

Like Ivy I feel as if I am waiting for something...although I think in my case, I'm waiting for myself... to show up for the page.

****

Okay... I'm not sure what happened to Rick Barot, but his link goes to a strange blog by Lloyd that appears to be a travel advertisement or something. But is also could be a poetry installation that I somehow missed the intro for.

****

Kim also seems to be having difficulty with words and writes her own meme...

1) Yep, I modeled for a figure class back-in-the-day too... hopefully the sketches of me have been torn up, doused in gas, and duly burned....

4) I cry over dance movies too, the latest was Stomp the Yard and my all time tear jerker is Strictly Ballroom...which I see was a Baz Luhrmann flick, reminding me of course of the other tear jerker Moulin Rouge! for the dancing, the music, and the gorgeous energy of Kidman/McGregor.

8) Hair clogs? Hair anything doesn't sound appealing and clogs made of hair sounds... yeah, gross...

9) "The only little Asian in Montana learning to throw the tomahawk" *blink*
*LOL*...okay... yah, truth to tell, I've thrown an axe at a hunk of wood before, but it was at an event called the Brunwulf Olympics and I was dressed in a 9th century Scottish chiton and it was a Scandinavian throwing axe...but I was the only Asian throwing that year... I think I was the only Asian onsite that year. Oh, and let's not forget, the event was in North Idaho.

****

Michelle and I are Myrna Loy doubles, although her stats are a bit stronger than mine

****

Hard-hitting Barbara Jane does her own link roundup of sorts, pointing to the comments of Marianne Villanueva and Cecilia Brainard. BJ reiterates her vision of Filipino Lit

I am interested in seeing work published that does not limit itself to the narrative tropes of identity and cultural pride. I imagine "riskier" work, formalistically and linguistically challenging work, precisely crafted and well-contained work, genre boundary pushing work, writings examining such taboo or touchy subjects as, for example, sexuality, sexual abuse, domestic abuse. As well, I'd be interested in seeing work in speculative fiction, excerpts of novels in progress, essays on writing process, critical book reviews.

A high bar to set, but she's out there doing it, as are so many other FilAm writers, and the shift is palpable. We are finally moving away from apologetics writing and into an activist art which broadens rather than constricts.

****

Nick shares travel pix... me, jealous? Absolutely.

****

Finally... at least for tonight... Filipino Tsismis provides a couple of great links:

Vangie Buell, author of 25 Chickens and a Pig for a Bride: Growing up in a Filipino Immigrant Family, has that sense of preserving history that resonates with my recent work. I'm not surprised to see she's involved with FANHS. Another book to put on my To Get list. (I really need to finish my Bought but Not Yet Read list first - I've /got/ to.)

Barriors looks pretty cool, just off the block, really, but potentially hard hitting. It's got that great cross-over potential too between panel comics and animated strip.

****

I think the biggest obstacle for me now is that life has been coming at me very fast and it spaces different from where my writing projects were outlined to take me. There's that sense of separation from my 'real life' and my 'working life' and not just the work that I do at my 8-5 job, but also the work of family caretaking. There shouldn't logically be a difference, but it's there, in my mind, nonetheless.

****

Midnight plus six minutes. Time to sleep.

1 comment:

barbara jane said...

hi bec, thanks for linking. i am interested in hearing more on "apologetics." what constitutes, what are some examples, etc. thanks and hope you are well!