6/17/2007

Updates

Like Ver and Gladys, I feel somewhat compelled to say "Yep, I'm still breathing. Just focused elsewhere."

I'm on a bit of a break this weekend from being with my mom who went through open heart surgery this week. She's recovering slowly but surely and I'll go back next week to help with her transition back home. I'm still working on framing the experience, but there have been some interesting encounters at the hospital I want to write about.

My one big concern now is that I've been set back on the paper I've been writing for anthology...I have no idea if I'll be able to pull an eleventh hour on it. But there's not much that can be done. The best I can do most days between vitals checks, meals, and physical therapy with Mom is sending emails to folks on her conditions and reading blogs.

Some of the momentum I'd gathered, though, in the past few weeks is still rolling. I've been asked to join the editorial staff at Haruah: Breath of Heaven" where I'll be shepherding the memoir section of the journal. I'm hoping to help them define inspirational/spiritual memoir a bit differently to help submitters understand what we're looking for.

I've also had requests for creative work, some old, some new, so that's exciting too. Pictures from the Running Poets of Greenlake installation will hopefully be online soon. I saw a few of pix recently and I hope mine ended up on the back of the cute baby *grin*

The early edits on the novel look really good, so I've dispatched the entire 'scrip to the editor in the hopes of really whipping the thing into shape. I'm toying with the possibility of converting it to YA, but that will mean making a few changes to characters which might be tricky.

Telling has taken a back burner since I had to miss out on two performances this last week. I did hear, though, that the storytelling class that had been observing the Fireside performances have provided feedback that should be helpful and recently a Master Teller indicated interest in helping me expand my techniques. I'll have to send him footage of my performances, though, and that's a bit nerve wracking. Performing I don't mind much, but the videotaping makes me really nervous. Bad childhood memories, I think.

The on-again-off-again Quest to Learn About My Grandfather as a Philippine Scout is on-again with the discovery of a man in California who remembers him and has given me the next lead in my quest. That dovetails into the Indipinoy interviews and the discovery that my uncle, the quiet one, was a guerrilla fighter during WWII and still has the shrapnel in his head to prove it.

Grant searching, to fund all this wonderfulness, has taken backburner, so for now I'm still juggling the 8-5 job and the mommying. Summer really doesn't change much to our schedule since they'll be at camps all summer and I'm planning on subjecting them to some sort of homework in the evenings to help them retain their skills.

So... yeah... it's been weird, but good, so I'm choosing to focus on the good and really I have many things to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Gladys said...

good wishes for your mother's speedy recovery!

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Thanks Gladys!

She's doing better and better everyday, so I'm hoping she'll be able to go home today.