5/30/2007

The Power of Yes

My ol' (not really /old/ so much as from 'long ago') grad advisor Carol Guess sent me a note the other day telling me about The Running Poets of Greenlake. Intrigued by Allin's poetic enthusiasm and inspired by Eileen's ever-present idea that poetry and life are intertwined, I submitted a haynaku for her consideration.

Allin replied:

fantastic
thank you for your poem!!


I admit to blinking a bit, then emailing her again, asking for her to let me know if my poem was going to be on a runner's chest in a few days, to which she replied:

the idea is not to selectively send our poets to the public
but to enthusiastically send our poets to the public
i'm getting wonderful poems
& i'm taking them all
i need 100
each by a different local living author
i'll print your poem exctly as you sent it
thanks for participating
event starts just after 9am on sunday 10 june
in my meadow near the shell gas station
details and pictures will appear when the time is right at:
Poetess at Greenlake
best


I swear, it was like Galatea herself was being channeled... I'm really not used to this, but I have to admit, I'm enjoying the Power of Yes very much.

So, if there are any NW Washington poets reading this, I hope you'll give the Amanda's project a whirl.

In the meantime, I'm trying to not think too hard on the fact that my poem will likely get more exercise than I that day.

***

Addendum: Greenlake was one of my favorite summer places-to-go. My aunt and uncle still live near the lake and as a kid, my family and extended family would celebrate 4th of July at their house, take our bikes to the lake and pedal around, dream about renting a paddle boat and finally set foot on the island near the center of the lake, then park our blankets out on the lawn to wait for the fireworks. After the show, we'd tumble back, sleepy-eyed and wrapped in said blankets, back to Auntie's house for a quick bathroom run before piling back into the car for a late night drive back home. I think once or twice we cousins got to sleep over at their house - it's hard to remember, since, once the fireworks were over, I was pretty much unconscious until morning.

I'm hoping to make the installation next week since we'll be down there for Pagdiriwang but it will mean coordinating my folks, Mass, and time with my best friend from High School.

*chuckle* Basically, The Usual(tm)

4 comments:

Ivy said...

Congratulations on the acceptance, Bec!

By the way, I sent you an email, but it bounced back to me -- I think your mailbox is full. Anyway, could you please email me again with a different email address I can use? Thanks!

Word verification is not true: onono :-)

kelvin said...

Hurray for Poetry let loose in the World!

*grin*

I wonder how many runners will quicken or slow their pace on the Green Lake trail so they might better read your poem? I just love that thought, for those runners their whole being will be engaged for that short time, body, mind, heart, spirit.

Whot a wonderful thing!

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Thanks I and K!

I - my mailbox isn't full... I've been studiously clearing it because I've had others tell me they've gotten bounces. I'll email you, but in case you see this post first, you can also reach me at oakstone3 at yahoo dot com

onono? Isn't that "yummy" in Hawaiian?

Thanks!

Cecilia Manguerra Brainard said...

I hope you can submit. I don't have your email addie:
This is a call for submissions of short stories for an anthology tentatively titled, GROWING UP FILIPINO II – Stories for Young Adults. The book will be edited by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard and will be published by both Anvil and PALH. Contributors will receive copies of the book as compensation for the use of their work.

The manuscript should be approximately 8-10 pages long, typed, double-spaced (approximately 1,800-2,300 words). This should be emailed to CBrainard@aol.com. You may also send it by air mail to:

Cecilia Brainard
c/o PALH
PO Box 5099
Santa Monica, CA 90409
USA

This book project is a follow-up of an earlier short story collection entitled Growing Up Filipino: Stories for Young Adults (published by PALH 2002, and Anvil).