9/01/2006

Manong Memoir

Growing Up Brown: Memoirs of a Filipino American by Peter Jamero

"I may have been like other boys, but there was a major difference - my family included 80 to 100 single young men residing in a Filipino farm-labor camp. It was as a 'campo' boy that I first learned of my ancestral roots and the sometimes tortuous path that Filipinos took in sailing halfway around the world to the promise that was America. It was as a campo boy that I first learned the values of family, community, hard work, and education. As a campo boy, I also began to see the two faces of America, a place where Filipinos were at once welcomed and excluded, were considered equal and were discriminated against. It was a place where the values of fairness and freedom often fell short when Filipinos put them to the test." - Peter Jamero

A peek at the table of contents shows contributions by Dorothy and Fred Cordova of the Filipino American Natioal Historical Society and fictionist-poet Peter Bacho.

If your in S.Cal, he'll be giving a reading this month:

Filipino American National Historical Society - Los Angeles Chapter
(FANHS-LA), Search to Involve Pilipino Americans (SIPA), UCLA Asian
American Studies Center, Filipino American Library (FAL), and Asian
Pacific Policy & Planning Council (A3PCON) invite you to a free
presentation and book signing of…

Growing Up Brown: Memoirs of a Filipino American
by author Peter Jamero

Sunday, September 17
2:00 – 4:00 pm
SIPA's Temple Gateway Youth & Community Center
3200 W. Temple St.
Historic Filipinotown
Los Angeles, CA 90026-4522
(Parking is available on Dillon and Robinson Streets. No parking is
allowed in SIPA's parking lot.)

*** Please RSVP with your name, email and, phone number to
lafanhs@fanhsla. org or 310/ 825-1006 (Meg at UCLA). ***

Also...

White Grizzly Bear's Legacy: Learning to Be Indian by Lawney L. Reyes

"I walked across the highway and stood on the bank overlooking Lake Roosevelt. My attention was directed to the area where Kettle Falls once flowed. As I stood there the wind came. As I listened I imagined that it talked to me. It seemed that it was telling me of how things once were. I began to think of friends and relatives who were no longer living. They began to appear before me, perched on the large rocks, fishing for the great salmon."

In his distinctive voice, Lawney Reyes, grandson of Pic Ah Kelowna or White Grizzly Bear of the Sin Aikst, relates the history of his family and his people.

I met Lawney at Pagdiriwang last June and found that he was an almost apologetic IndoPino, shyly relating his Filipino heritage to us as something rarely talked about in his family, yet always present. His work is not so much "manong memoir" as telling one more facet of the FilAm experience during a time nearly forgotten in cultural memory due to the different immigration waves.

Books. Books. Books!

1 comment:

Kev Minh said...

Hi, welcome to the blogiverse! I'm a bibliophile myself.