7/18/2006

Gratitude

I thank You God for most this amazing day; for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes. -- e.e. cummings

Gratitude is such a conscious act, to recognize a moment of pure grace in its own shape, whether the smile on a child's face, a tree waving gently on the wind, or a chance meeting between friends long since parted.

I can be miserly with my gratitude, as if there is only a small portion available to me, yet when I am grateful, I find that more things come to my attention to be grateful for, small things, midsize miracles, large, life changing moments. I am thankful for relative good health, a good job, two eyes that can see clearly (with glasses), and a loving family. For a God who loves me and who grants me each moment opportunities to practice love. Because love is a practice, like gratitude.

Mostly today, I am grateful for poets who dare to dream of spaces so ubitquitous yet unnoticed, for their ability to bring into sharp focus what we easily slide past. For marking down grace with words layered in meaning and rooted in experience.

There's the realm of infinite Yes which they bring to us on silvered words.

No comments: