6/22/2005

On Isis...

So one of the cool things about 'getting' Isis on a recent meme, is that at one time I had dreams of creating something called the Isis Foundation.

I've loved Isis since the days of the Secrets of Isis and Shazaam!, the first of many superhero women I would fall in love with...Wonder Woman, Storm, Xena, Buffy... But with Andrea the Archaelogist, here was a geeky girl who became something strong and wonderful with a few words and magic amulet. If only I could find the words, if only I could discover the amulet, I could save the world...

The later incarnation of this wish came in the 90's when I was broke, in debt, and desperate to find a place where I could be a writer...actually, I'm still broke, in debt and desperate to find a place to be a writer, but back then the 'fix' was to Win the Lottery. Back in the day, it wasn't MegaMillions, it was PowerBall and the higher winnings were in the 100's of millions less often. I imagined I could conjure the right numbers, align myself with the destiny of winner, then I would become philanthropist, setting up the Isis Foundation where not-ready-for-prime-time artists of all sorts could find free studio space and all the supplies they would ever desire in trade for teaching the general community about their art. Isis was the goddess who brought all the pieces of her dead, dismembered husband back together and breathed life back into him.

I wanted to do the same, bringing all the pieces artists needed together to bring new life to art. I envisioned writers happily tortured in front of computers, musicians jamming in studios, and painters slathering acrylic and guache on bolt after bolt of canvas. There would be children and elderly who came to share their stories too, learn from these young artists how to make their own art between growing up and growing old. There would be mentors too who would help these emerging artists break into the big time and ...and...

Yeah, so I haven't won the lottery (yet) and the dream has permutated over the years sometimes getting smaller, sometimes bigger, but always about community and artistry. And over the years I've found emerging writers and mentors both, some generous, most funny, and above all passionate. It's nice to be reminded though, that there was a central image to my madness, and she is strong and capable, and somehow, a little meme discovered that she still lives inside of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous Poet said...

Good luck with all that!